Did you know that in The Descent of Man, Darwin mentions the word "love" 95 times and "survival of the fittest" only twice? I discovered this while doing research for my play #Love95times for The Farm Theater Company's College Collaboration Project.
Since October, the play has been developed in beautiful productions by SUNY Brockport, UWF and Centre College and a few nice things have happened:
- It's been nominated for a Kennedy Center's ACTF David Mark Cohen Award
- It is a Eugene O'Neill Theater Conference semi-finalist
- And on June 5th, you can join us in NYC!
The play explores a sexual assault and asks what the role of the bystander is.
After every performance, this is what we heard again and again:
- "This should be required viewing." - male audience member
- "I am having conversations with friends about sexual assault in a way I never have before." - male student
- "I feel empowered." - female student
- "Every year during orientation, it's like they're saying, 'Don't date-rape'. It's so patronizing; you just tune them out. I'd rather see this play because now I see how I could actually prevent a situation like this from happening." - male student
- "I couldn't stop watching." - female audience member